Real Christmas trees can be a real fire hazard, if they are not properly watered.
BRANT COUNTY - The Brant County Fire Department would like to remind everyone to be safe this holiday season.
The holidays are a great time of year to see family, eat together, and have a fun winter season, but even during the holidays it is important to remember fire safety.
The Brant County Fire Prevention Officers are giving everyone some fire safety reminders for the season:
- Cooking is the leading cause of fires during the holidays, you should always stay in the kitchen while you are cooking, If you need to leave the room, remember to turn off the stove and remove your pots and pans.
- Make sure to keep candles in a sturdy holder and away from children, pets and anything that is flammable. Always blow out the flame before leaving the room.
- Smoking while indoors is the leading cause of fatal fires, put out the cigarettes in a large, deep ashtray.
- Alcohol is also a large factor in fatal fires during the holidays, be sure to drink responsibly.
- Make sure to check all decorative lights before placing them on your tree and discard any frayed or damaged lights or cords.
Stay safe this season and Happy Holidays.