Police are reminding parents to be cautious this summer around pools, as the most common cause of drowning of children between the ages 1-4 years-old occurs in back yard pools.
OXFORD COUNTY - Pool season has officially started in Oxford County.
The OPP is reminding all parents and caregivers of small children to take certain safety precautions if you have a pool. The most common cause of drowning of children between the ages 1-4 is back yard pools.
Here are some tips to make sure everyone stays safe this summer:
- Pool owners should erect a 4' high, 4-sided fence with self-closing and latching gates.
- Always stay within sight and reach of young children.
- Learn how to swim or have an experienced swimmer with the child at all times, and someone who is trained in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Sign your children up for swimming lessons.
- Make sure you have the proper emergency equipment available, a phone near the pool to call 911, first aid kit, reach pole and a ring buoy with an attached rope.
A caregiver must be responsible, sober and confident at all times. Let's make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable time around the pool or backyard pond this year. You can visit their website for more information.