Motorists are reminded to give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination and drive to the conditions today.
PERTH COUNTY - The OPP are reminding everyone today that when you see snow, go slow.
Motorists are reminded to give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination and drive to the conditions. Already police have dealt with a couple of collisions in the region.
Driving too fast for road conditions is the number one cause of winter collisions. Police are offering the following tips to make sure you make it home safe on your commute today.
- Avoid distractions; motorists should stay in control of their vehicle at all times. Avoid sudden braking, accelerating or steering.
- Remember to allow extra time to travel to and from destinations.
- Remember to leave extra space between vehicles.
- Remember to use your full set of headlights every day during the winter months; daylight running lights are not as bright and do not engage your rear taillights making it difficult, and at times, impossible for drivers behind you to see your vehicle.
- Finally, remember that poor road/weather conditions don't cause accidents - poor driving habits do!
For information on winter driving, including recommended items for a vehicle emergency kit, please visit: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/winterdrive/winterdrive.shtml/.