Alzheimer's Awareness Month

January is Alzheimer's month and the Oxford County society is doing a number of things to raise awareness.

January is Alzheimer's month and the Oxford County society is doing a number of things to raise awareness. 

Executive Director Shelley Green explains the theme this year. 

"Yes I live with dementia, let me help you understand. This is the second year of a three year campaign published by the Alzheimer Society of Canada. We really want to get the message out there that you can't make assumptions. People are currently living with the early stages of this disease in our community and are leading very productive lives. We want people in Oxford to understand the challenges and also that those suffering from dementia can still continue on with joy and be active members of our society." 

Green says the Oxford Society has 191 dedicated volunteers who gave 4294 volunteer hours to the Alzheimer Society of Oxford last year.

"Our volunteers are involved in almost every aspect of our organization and truly without our volunteers our organization would be a fraction of what we are today." 

Over 2000 residents of Oxford County are currently living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia's. 890 individuals were provided support by Family Support Workers. A total of 4057 visits were made by Family Support Workers to clients in need of information and support. 41 Volunteer Companions provided 1375 hours of companionship serving 43 individuals. Over 3746 people were provided public education about Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia's. Alzheimer Society of Oxford receives 62% of its funding from the LHIN (Local Health Integration Network, Ministry of Health). The remaining 38% of our funding comes from the support of our community through donations and fundraising.

Green says they will be spreading awareness through articles in the Oxford Review and Tillsonburg news, doing media interviews with local radio stations and of course the Walk for Alzheimer's events in Tillsonburg and Woodstock. 

The first walk is happening on January 19th in Tillsonburg at the Lions Auditorium from 10 am to noon. The second walk is happening on January 26th at the Oxford Auditorium in Woodstock from 2 to 4 p.m. 

You can find more information about the walks online here, and you can find more information on the Alzheimer's Society of Oxford County online here.  

More from Local News

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.

Weather