The London District Catholic School Board is going to close their schools on Tuesday if the teachers go ahead with a one day strike.
OXFORD COUNTY - The London District Catholic School Board is going to close their schools on Tuesday if the teachers go ahead with a one day strike.
The Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association gave notice for the strike yesterday. It will happen on Tuesday January 21st unless a deal is reached with the Province. OECTA represents approximately 1,300 teaching staff at all LDCSB schools (elementary, secondary and the Centre for Lifelong Learning) and the Board office.
In-school classes will be cancelled and all LDCSB schools will be closed to students on January 21, 2020. This cancellation affects all elementary schools, all secondary schools, alternative education programs and some adult and continuing education programs. Parents/guardians should make alternate arrangements for their children if required.
Other programs and buildings will be affected as follows:
- All sports and other extracurricular events are cancelled.
- All before and after school programs are cancelled.
- Daycare centres located at LDCSB schools are open.
- Family Centres located at LDCSB schools are open.
- All Community Use of Schools programs/events will run as scheduled.
- Some adult and continuing education programs may be cancelled. The Centre for Lifelong Learning will be in contact with students and clients with additional information.
All non-OECTA staff are expected to report to their school or workplace as usual. In addition, the Board Office will remain open.
On their website the LDCSB notes that they understand this may have an enormous impact on families.
"These decisions were made in the interest of student and staff safety, security and well-being. We appreciate your patience and understanding at this time. Please continue to monitor the LDCSB website, social media channels and SchoolMessenger for any updates."