Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms Save Two Homes In Brant County

Stock photo

Two incidents in Brant County saw how important it is to have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms working properly. They say It is important to replace the batteries in your alarms twice a year and test all smoke alarms at least once a month. 

BRANT COUNTY - It is important to check your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms regularly, Brant County had two incidents recently that if not for the alarms, it would have been devastating.

When homeowners were woken up by their carbon monoxide alarm, they evacuated the house and proceeded to call the Fire Department. When officials arrived it was discovered that a bird had made its nest in the chimney restricting the flow of carbon monoxide outdoors. 

Fire Chief Geoff Hayman says he wants people to know the seriousness of this subject.

"These stories remind us to ensure we have working CO and smoke alarms and to practice our emergency escape plans."

In another area of Brant, a young boy was playing outside when he had heard his neighbour's smoke alarm go off and told his father to call the Fire Department. The child had firefighters visit his school and he says he knew what the smoke alarm sounded like and he knew what to do because of school drills and lessons. 

Hayman credits the boy with being a hero in the case.

"This child is credited for saving his neighbour's house. Thankfully the homeowners also had working smoke alarms. It is best to use interconnected smoke alarms. When one smoke alarm sounds, they all sound."

In these cases, we know that these alarms save lives and help make these situations less lethal. It is important to replace the batteries in your alarms twice a year and test all smoke alarms at least once a month. 

More from Local News

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.

Weather