Woodstock Police have released a number of summer safety tips. Today we focus on bicycle/scooter/skateboard safety and bike theft prevention tips.
WOODSTOCK - Woodstock Police have released a number of summer safety tips as more and more people get outside to enjoy the fresh air and warm weather.
Safety needs to be top of mind right now, with more kids already home and not able to return to school, they want to make sure everyone is aware of their surroundings and staying safe. Today we will put a focus on bicycle/scooter/skateboard safety.
Bike Theft Prevention:
· Most bikes are stolen while left unlocked. Lock it or lose it!
· Register your bikes with the Woodstock Police Bike Registry on our website so we can return it to the proper owner if we do recover a stolen bike. www.woodstockpolice.ca/programs/bike-registration
Bike/Scooter/Skateboard & Other Alternative Transportation Safety:
· Obey the rules of the road
· Always wear a proper fitting helmet, footwear and other safety equipment
· Use hand signals to communicate with other road users whether you are making a right turn, left turn or stopping.
· Wear bright coloured or reflective clothing while riding so it is easy for motorists to see you
· Always ride your bike with the flow of traffic and stay safely to the outer edge of the road
· Parents – make sure you are aware of where your children are going and the route they are taking.
Even with the sunshine we have had lately and many people getting outside more, it is important to remember to abide by appropriate physical distancing of 2 meters and emergency orders from the Ontario Government.