Woodstock Police will be spending some extra time in school zones this week as we get back into the school routine.
WOODSTOCK - Woodstock Police are reminding everyone to slow down and take your time this week as the kids head back to school.
Officers will be stationed at our local elementary and post secondary schools, keeping a close eye on traffic during the first week back to school. Police will be conducting enforcement throughout the City, particularly in the school zone areas.
Sergeant Coates says they just want to make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable first week back to school.
"The focus of the enforcement will be on parking, speed, and aggressive driving around the schools in an effort to keep our students safe."
Police are urging drivers to be cautious of the children in the cross walk areas and to park and stop their vehicles in accordance with the City by-laws.
Woodstock Police would like to offer the following safety tips:
• Walk on the sidewalk, or facing traffic if there isn’t one.
• Stop and look left, right and left again to check for cars before crossing the street.
• Practice walking to school with your children to teach them the safest route and encourage them to use the same route every day so you know where they are.
• Cross streets at crosswalks when available.
• Never walk while texting, talking on the phone or using headphones.
• Stay alert to what is going on around you and on the road.
• Always wear a helmet that is fitted and secured using the 2V1 rule.
• Teach kids the rules of the road: ride single file on the right side of the road, come to a complete stop before crossing the street and walk across the road.
• Watch for opening car doors and other hazards.
• Use hand signals when turning or stopping.
• Wear bright coloured clothes to be visible to other road users.
• Teach children the proper way to get on and off the bus
• When getting off the bus remind children to look for moving vehicles before crossing the road.
• Walk around the front of the bus so the driver can see you.
• Sit in your seat and follow the bus driver’s rules.
• Share the road and be alert to your surroundings.
• Never pass a bus
• Follow the 40 km speed limit and do not stop in no stopping areas
• Do not block crosswalks
• Never enter crosswalks until the crossing guards have cleared the roadway