On Air Now

World's Best Weekend

Midnight - 9:00am

  • 519-537-1047

Now Playing




Residents Displaced in Windemere Fire

The residents have been living out of a hotel and will not be able to return home for awhile after a Monday night blaze on Windemere Street.

WOODSTOCK - Nobody was injured after a fire on Windemere Crescent Monday night.

The home did have working smoke alarms and everyone was able to escape safely. The fire did cause extensive damage to the garage and smoke and soot damage to the inside. All of the residents have been displaced and it could take a few months before they can move back home.

Fire Prevention Officer Lukasz Kaspryzk says crews were able to contain the fire to the garage.

"We actually got the call from a neighbour about a fire inside the home. Crews attended and found the house fully involved. Firefighters were able to suppress the fire inside the garage and minimize the spread of the fire to the inside of the house." 

The fire was most likely caused by a damaged power and electrical cord. Kaspryzk says early detection was crucial in this blaze.

"A few neighbours were credited for detecting the fire early on and the residents were able to evacuate quickly and nobody was hurt."

A few people lived inside the home and they will be displaced for a few months. They have been staying at local hotels and many, if not most of their worldly possessions were destroyed in the blaze.

A goFundMe has been set up to help one of the victims Edith Gomez. It has already raised $700. You can find more information about the fundraiser online here.

More from Local News


Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.
Rating *


Recently Played