The Buy Close By program will give shoppers an extra incentive to spend money in rural Oxford.
The Rural Oxford Economic Development Commission is rolling out their Buy Close By program across the County today on Black Friday.
They recently concluded a pilot project in Norwich as a way to encourage people to shop local. Residents can sign up for a punch card and they can use that card at local stores in Norwich, Southwest Oxford, Zorra, East Zorra Tavistock and Blandford-Bleinheim. Economic Development Specialist Bernia Wheaton explains how the program works.
"$10 or more or $20 or more will get your punch card filled up, when it's filled up they can put their name and address on the back of the card and drop it off at any of the participating businesses to be entered into a draw to win thousands of dollars worth of prizes."
Wheaton says you only have to spend $150 locally to be entered into the draw. Wheaton says they just wanted to find a way to encourage people to shop local.
"Help encourage people to shop right in their own community, we always encourage people to shop local but what does that mean, local for some people could be if it's made in Ontario it's local but we want people to shop here in rural Oxford, right in their hometown."
You MUST be based in one of the five townships that make up Rural Oxford to participate. Here are some examples of businesses that should join in:
• Retail (of all sizes)
• Restaurants & Food Services
• Business &Professional services including lawyers, real estate, insurance, financial planners, accountants, and more.
• Personal services including hair stylists, spas, and aesthetics.
• Health and wellness, including massage therapy, naturopath, dental, optical, veterinary services, and animal care.
• Recreation and Leisure programs and events.
• Businesses serving our agricultural sector.
• Local food vendors and farm markets.
You can find more information and see what businesses are participating online here.