On Air Now

Heart FM Mornings

5:30am - 10:00am

  • 519-537-1047

Now Playing

Stopping the Silent Killer

Everyone is encouraged to check their carbon monoxide alarms this Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Homeowners throughout Oxford are being reminded about the dangers of carbon monoxide this Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas which can be deadly.

Deputy Fire Chief with the Woodstock Fire Department Jeff Slager tells Heart FM carbon monoxide can be created by anything that ignites a flame.

"The water heater, furnace, some people in their kitchen the stove or dryer might be. If there's a gas appliance, it will have a flame and the potential for carbon monoxide to be produced."

A car can also create carbon monoxide which is why homes with attached garages also need a CO Alarm.

The Hawkins-Gignac Act makes carbon monoxide alarms mandatory in all residences with a source of CO and Slager says it is ultimately the owner's responsibility to make sure those alarms are functioning.

"When it comes to an apartment building or any sort of rental property, it is the landlord's responsibility to provide the carbon monoxide alarm and to provide any batteries to maintain them."

In a rental situation is it also the tenant's responsibility to notify the landlord if the carbon monoxide detectors are not working properly.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week kicks off on November 1st and will run until November 8th. Throughout this week people are also encouraged to check the batteries in their CO Alarms and make sure they are in proper working order.

More from Local News

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.
Rating *

Weather

Recently Played