On Air Now

  • 519-537-1047

Now Playing




Owner Grilled for Fire Code Violations

The Woodstock Fire Department has turned up the heat on a local grill owner, for allowing someone to live in his restaurant. Kittuppanantharajah Namasivayam received a $10,000 fine, plus court costs, along with with 2-years probation for numerous Ontario Fire Code violations, according to the Woodstock Fire Dept. Fire Inspector Lukasz Kasprzyk says the initial inspection of the Oxford Grill on Highway 2 in Eastwood happened back in July. "We found there was a person living in the restaurant, in the back, basically occupying a room that previously was only intended for storage use. There was a bed, closet and other items that would suggest residential use. And also in discussion with the person that was living there, he indicated he was living there for quite sometime." Kasprzyk says Woodstock Fire warned the owner of the same restaurant, in 2010, for the same infractions. "Back then, this was a similar situation with a different individual living in that property. We found that last year, which was 2-years after the initial inspection, we found this, and immediately laid charges." That wasn't the only issue, they also say there were numerous Fire Code violations with the restaurant, inducing failing to have a fire safety plan, or training staff on it, and also failing to perform monthly inspections of fire safety equipment. Mr. Namasivayam has signed a declaration that he won't allow anyone to live in the restaurant, and will keep the Oxford Grill up to date with their fire checks. The Fire Department is also using the case as a reminder for all business owners to perform and document monthly fire checks.

More from Local News


Recently Played