On Air Now

World's Best Music

1:00am - 5:30am

  • 519-537-1047

Now Playing

LEANN RIMES

CAN'T FIGHT THE MOONLIGHT

Download

Residents Could be Fined in Hiawatha Fire

Once again, careless smoking has been deemed the cause of an apartment fire in Woodstock. Just before midnight last night, Woodstock Firefighters were called to the 3rd floor unit of a building on Hiawatha Road. When they arrived on scene, there was no fire, but there was heavy smoke throughout the 3rd floor. Two people in the affected unit were taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire was deemed to be careless use of smoking materials. To make matters worse, the smoke was detected by units in the hallway. Fire Chief Scott Tegler says the hard-wired smoke detector in the unit had been disabled. "The residents of that unit are very fortunate that there was an additional fire alarm in the hallway that was able to alert the residents. They put the entire building at risk and you know, you're dealing with a lot of potential lives, and you're putting a lot of strain on the service to be able to react to that." The individual that disable the smoke detector could face a fine of $235. Damage in the fire was limited to just $1000.

More from Local News

Weather

Recently Played